Elder White in Peten

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

ELDER WHITE LOVES TEACHING

March 30, 2011

Week 5

Hola,

Man I love Guatemala. I study outside in the morning everyday with my companion. The climate is awesome. It was a good week pretty slow to start off but picked up. Sunday was testimony meeting and that was so awesome. I love the Spirit of the Latinos. Their testimonies are so strong and amazing. It really blows me away. They are so humble and really gave so much to come out here on a mission.

On Monday we got to go proselyting!!!!!!! I went with my 2 Latino companions, Elder Gonzalez from Bolivia and Elder Lue from El Salvador. We went out for 2 hours to just get references. It was sooooo fun!! I loved every minute of it and I didn´t want to come back to the MTC. We handed out 3 Book of Mormons and got 2 references. It was definitely an eye opening experience. The people here are so friendly, but in the city they are always in a hurry. I cant wait to get out of the city to teach.

After lunch we got to go out again for an hour and this time with our American companions. That was definitely a lot more difficult because my comp is still working on his Spanish. It ended so awesome though, we ended up finding a 21 yr old waiting at a bus stop and we talked to him. We told him about the BoM and that we have prophets today. His eyes lit up and he was so excited, he loved how the BoM tells of Christ´s coming to the Americas, such as Guatemala. We got his information and gave him a BoM and it was so amazing. We had a really good feeling about him, and I am glad the Spirit was able to touch him through me and my companion.

I love sharing the gospel and the happiness that it brings, I can´t wait to do it full time. I know the Lord will bless us if we are striving to be righteous and to follow all of his commandments.

We watched a MTC devo from last year with Elder Bednar and that was awesome. It talked about how the gospel can be broken up into 3 categories. 1) Doctrine, which is truth 2) Principles 3) Applications. He repeated so much how the truth is always in the Doctrine and the answer is always the doctrine. He urged us to answer application questions with principles, to teach people to be spiritually dependent. I really liked that. Another thing he mentioned was in Mosiah 24:13-15, in here it talks about people with burdens or afflictions and how God will make up the rest if we give it our all.

An interesting thing I noticed in there was about covenants and how they bless us. I really felt prompted to make a covenant with God, that if I put in all my work, he will help me to make up the rest. We have the power to make Covenants with God, but it is up to us to put in the work.

I have 4 more weeks in the MTC bla, but I know that it is a blessing because that is more time to learn for the investigators. I love this opportunity and I love the gospel. I love the people of Guatemala and I know the Lord is preparing people right now for missionaries. I know that through the Atonement we can be comforted. I know that God loves us and for this reason he wants to bless us with blessing beyond measure. All we have to do is put in a little work, and in return he gives us so much.

I hope everything is awesome up there, I pray for everyone every day. I love you guys and know that God loves every one of us. Hasta luego.

Love, Elder David White